Hardware cloth is wire mesh that consists of either woven or welded wires in a square or rectangular grid. Hardware wire cloth mesh is available in galvanized steel, stainless steel and bare steel. It is typically used for bird & rodent control, filter media backing, machine guarding, security screening, and many other outdoor applications. The hardware cloth mesh openings range from:
- 1/8" x 1/8" to 2" x 2" for the square wire cloth openings
- 1/2" x 1" to 2" x 4" for the rectangular wire cloth openings
Hardware wire cloth mesh is available in rolls ranging from 24 inches to 72 inches wide and 100 feet long. Wire cloth from Direct Metals can be cut to fit your specifications.
We offer hardware cloth or wire cloth mesh fabrication services, including:
- Cutting wire cloth into discs
- Fabricating wire cloth into filter packs
- Wire cloth filter strainers
- Wire cloth filter tubes
- Wire cloth filter cylinders
- Hardware wire cloth slit into coils
- Hardware wire cloth cut into pieces
Common applications for Hardware Wire Cloth Mesh:
- Pest control
- Chicken coops
- Wire cloth machine guarding
- Wire cloth separating screens
- Industrial wire cloth applications
- Wire cloth tree guards
- Wire cloth fencing
- Rodent & bird control
Click on a photo for a larger view:
Hardware Wire Cloth vs. Chicken Wire
Hardware cloth is a superior product when compared to traditional chicken wire. The difference is in the protection hardware cloth offers. Chicken wire confines chickens and other farm animals to their specific areas, however the large openings and flexible qualities of chicken wire allow for predators to eventually gain access. Hardware wire cloth, on the other hand, keeps natural predators out. The small openings and sturdy design of the hardware cloth features block outside animals from intruding. Investing in hardware cloth prevents potential heartache and financial losses.
Hardware wire cloth is used in various kinds of filters. The automobile, construction, chemical, rubber, plastic, and food and beverage industries all utilize the versatile hardware cloth.
Ordering Hardware Wire Cloth
Direct Metals supplies hardware cloth in rolls. The mesh sizes and wire diameter options are listed below. If your order requires any custom fabricating, we offer processes such as:
- Plasma/water jet cutting
There are a few other things to consider about our hardware cloth:
- If you are new to hardware wire cloth, you should become familiar with wire cloth and its terminology. This page and our wire mesh mini catalog are great resources.
- Purchase a full roll of hardware wire cloth material as opposed to a smaller amount, in order to receive the best price.
We have one of the largest inventories of wire mesh in the U.S. and have the hardware cloth available to meet your specifications. Our metal experts can help you find the best metal or fiberglass products for your project.
Call us Toll Free at 800.711.4939 to speak to one of our sales representatives about your wire cloth needs!