Slip-resistant stair treads are designed to improve safety for indoor and outdoor locations where slippery conditions are commonly present. At Direct Metals, we have a wide selection of slip-resistant stair tread options that help provide a safer walking or working surface. The benefits of stair treads include: slip resistance, ease of fabrication and installation, plus low maintenance.
One of the advantages of installing slip-resistant stair treads is it significantly improves safety in the workplace. According to NAAMM, National Association of Architectural Metal Manufacturers, stair treads have a high percentage of open area to allow for excellent drainage and the free passing of debris, creating a virtually maintenance-free product (1). They also can have a high load-bearing capacity which offers increased structural integrity.
Metal stair treads can be easily cleaned without damaging their durability because they are made from rust-free, non-corrosive metals including stainless steel, aluminum, carbon steel and fiberglass. Stair treads are an excellent option for your applications because they add strength and resistance to corrosion from environmental factors, allowing them to have a long lifespan. Overall, this translates into you saving money due to fewer repairs or replacements.
Another advantage of slip-resistant stair treads is their functionality. They add an element of texture and design to any structure. Stair treads can create a clean, contemporary design to stairways, or you can customize them to complement the aesthetics of any facility or environment. We offer three diverse types of slip-resistant stair treads: Bar Grating, Fiberglass Grating, and Safety Grating.
When installing slip-resistant safety grating stair treads, we follow NAAMM’s general installation requirements (2):
- Unpack grating and inspect for damage
- Grating shall be installed with cross bars or anti-slip surface on top
- Primarily install all grating into area per layout drawing
- Adjust spacing between panels to allow for proper pack out and equal spacing between panels and between supports.
- Verify that all grating is adequately supported. Notching bearing bars at supports or interrupting bearing bars with cutouts shall only occur when the system has been designed for such modification and is specified by the design engineer and indicated on the plans.
- Securely fasten all grating as specified for project or per NAAMM recommendations.
Following these installation requirements, warrants your slip-resistant bar grating stair treads will stay in place and may last you a lifetime.
At Direct Metals, you can expect outstanding quality for every slip-resistant stair tread product we provide. If you are interested in our metal stair tread products, please contact us at 1-800-711-4939 or email us at email@example.com for a quote.
- NAAMM, 2021, Metal Bar Grating, 08 April 2021 [https://www.naamm.org/division/8]
- NAAMM, 2017, Metal Bar Grating Manual 531-17, Eighth Edition, National Association of Architectural Metal Manufacturers (p.15),